Breast Augmentation Post-Operative Care Orlando
Every breast augmentation surgery patient is unique and may require different post-operative guidelines in order to heal properly after surgery. However, there are general rules that most patients should adhere to in the days and weeks following breast implant surgery.
Patients healing from breast augmentation should not be alone during the 24-48 hours after surgery. It is imperative to have someone to assist with medications, meals, bathroom visits, driving, or to help with any complications that may arise.
Post Operative Expectations
Breast augmentation is a major surgery that requires patience, relaxation, and diligence on the part of the patient in order for the breasts to fully heal. This can be a slow process, taking up to four months to fully recover, but most patients are able to return to non-strenuous jobs after one week.
- Swelling and soreness after surgery is common. Frequent use of ice packs can help reduce this swelling and discomfort.
- Scarring is also common, but the scars will continue to heal and change over time. The scars will not fade completely.
- It will be necessary to wear a support garment (bra) in the weeks following surgery to help the breasts heal to the proper shape.
- Getting the proper amount of sleep is vital. It is important to sleep elevated for 1-2 weeks after surgery to promote healing. Sleeping in this manner can cause back discomfort, so a heating pad may help alleviate this discomfort.
- All medications should be taken according to the surgeon’s orders. Some of the medications may induce nausea, so eating and drinking plenty of water with the medications may help alleviate this possibility.
- Be alert to any signs of infection, such as fever, flu-like symptoms, hot breasts, redness or inflammation.
What to Avoid After Breast Augmentation
It is advisable to avoid the following actions or activities for at least two weeks or more after surgery:
- Avoid smoking or drinking alcohol until fully healed because these substances can interfere with the medications you may be taking.
- Avoid sports, amusement park rides, and bending over.
- Avoid straining or lifting items, people, or pets that are over 5 pounds.
- Avoid stressful situations.
- Avoid taking any type of medication after surgery without first consulting the surgeon to ensure that it will not interfere with the healing process.
A positive outlook after surgery will help speed the healing process, and Florida cosmetic surgeon Dr. Joseph is always available to help patients through the recovery process. If you would like to learn more about breast implant surgery recovery, please contact our office to schedule a free breast implant surgery recovery consultation.