Tummy Tuck Candidacy Orlando
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, a total of 121,653 people had tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) surgeries in 2008, making this procedure one of the top five cosmetic surgeries in the United States. Although this is a popular procedure, not everyone is a good candidate for this type of cosmetic surgery.
Please contact board-certified Orlando plastic surgeon Dr. Brian Joseph and his staff at Park Avenue Plastic Surgery to arrange your appointment.
Good Tummy Tuck Candidates
There are many individuals who can be greatly served by tummy tuck surgeries:
- Generally healthy men and women who have excess abdominal fat or skin that will not vanish despite regular exercise and healthy eating patterns.
- Women with weak, separated or stretched abdominal muscles and skin as a result of pregnancy. Stretch marks can also be eliminated with a tummy tuck.
- Patients who have undergone gastric bypass or gastric banding surgery to lose significant amounts of weight and have excess, loose abdominal skin.
- Older adults whose abdominal areas have begun to lose elasticity and sag as a result of the natural aging process.
- People who will not become self-conscious about the inevitable scar that will exist along the bikini line (although it is placed as inconspicuously as possible).
- People who have realistic expectations about the outcome of the surgery. Realistic expectations can be a better body contour and smoother abdominal areas.
Those who should delay or completely avoid tummy tuck surgeries include:
- Unhealthy individuals who want to use the surgery as a weight loss solution.
- Women who plan to become pregnant at some point in the future. While tummy tucks are excellent to help repair weak and separated abdominal muscles after pregnancy, any future pregnancies can actually undo Dr. Joseph’s work in this area.
- Patients who plan to lose significant amounts of weight in the future.
- People who will not be comfortable with a potentially significant scar along the bikini line.
- People who cannot (or will not) stop smoking prior to and after surgery. Smoking can delay healing and increase the risk of complications.
- Extremely active people who will find it difficult or impossible to limit their more strenuous activities for up to six weeks after surgery.
- People who have unrealistic expectations about the outcome of the surgery, such as believing that a tighter midsection will drastically change their lives or make them appear younger.
- People who believe that they can never regain weight after a tummy tuck.
Tummy tuck procedures have helped thousands of people gain or regain their self-confidence. By following Dr. Joseph’s instructions before, during, and after the procedure, most patients will be extremely satisfied with the results.
If you would like to learn if you are a candidate for a tummy tuck, please contact our Florida cosmetic surgery office today for a complimentary consultation.