Tummy Tuck Questions Orlando
What is a tummy tuck?
A tummy tuck, also called abdominoplasty, is a cosmetic surgery procedure to contour the body by removing excess skin and fat in the abdominal area, tightening the abdominal muscles. The abdomen becomes more smooth and firm as a result of this procedure.
Please contact board-certified Orlando plastic surgeon Dr. Brian Joseph and his staff at Park Avenue Plastic Surgery to arrange your appointment.
Who are good candidates for tummy tucks?
People who are irritated or frustrated with the appearance of their abdominal area but who are generally healthy individuals may be candidates for an abdominoplasty. This procedure is not meant to be a weight loss solution but rather an option for people who find it impossible to rid of excess skin or fat despite healthy lifestyles, eating habits and exercise. Good candidates include:
- Women who have experienced one or more pregnancies
- Individuals who have had significant weight loss
- Individuals whose bodies have begun to droop or sag due to aging
- Individuals who are simply plagued with bad genes
When is a tummy tuck not recommended?
There are certain situations when a person should wait before undergoing a tummy tuck procedure, such as:
- Women planning to become pregnant in the future
- Individuals planning to lose significant amounts to weight in the future
It is important for potential tummy tuck patients to disclose al of their medical history with the cosmetic surgeon prior to making the decision to proceed with this surgery. There are certain conditions that can lead to complications, including:
- Lung or heart disease
- Blood clots
- Previous abdominal scarring
- Other serious medical history or conditions
Are there different tummy tuck options?
Yes. Not every patient will require the same type of tummy tuck procedure. That is why Dr. Joseph offers the following options for his patients:
- Full tummy tuck: Correction of the sagging skin, weak muscles and excess fat in the entire abdominal area.
- Circumferential tummy tuck: Removal of the surplus of skin that can result from massive weight loss as well as the tightening of abdominal muscles.
- Modified tummy tuck: Tightening of abdominal muscles and the removal of minimal excess skin or fat.
- Mini tummy tuck: Correction of sagging skin, weak muscles and small amount of excess fat below the belly button.
What are the risks associated with tummy tucks?
As with any surgery, there are some risks that will be explained in great detail prior to surgery:
Board-certified Florida cosmetic surgeon Dr. Brian Joseph is happy to answer all questions related to the tummy tuck procedure. Please contact our office today for a free tummy tuck consultation.