|Sign up to receive Monthly Newsletters, Specials and Announcements & Events
There is a low rate of complications if you are undergoing cosmetic surgery by a board-certified plastic surgeon.
Orlando cosmetic surgeon Dr. Brian Joseph is an experienced cosmetic surgeon, board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and the American Board of Surgery . Dr. Joseph is a compassionate, caring surgeon who will listen to your concerns and cosmetic goals and is devoted to your successful outcome.
If you are considering cosmetic surgery, keep in mind that every procedure carries a risk. Be sure to discuss in detail any potential complications with Dr. Joseph so that you can make an informed decision about your chosen procedure(s).
General Risks for Cosmetic Surgery
The following are some general risks of cosmetic surgery:
- Slow Healing: Slow healing will depend on your age, skin type, and a number of other factors beyond anybody’s control. Your willingness to follow Dr. Joseph’s advice and post-operative care instructions will also impact the speed of your healing.
- Asymmetry: While mild asymmetry is normal, moderate to severe irregularities may require a second surgery.
- Numbness or tingling: While this condition is usually temporary, it is possible to experience a permanent loss of sensation. This may occur around the incision area or on the body part affected by surgery. Numbness or tingling is caused by injury to your sensory or motor nerves.
- Dimples, puckers, and divots: These adverse outcomes most commonly result from healing irregularities or body composition.
- Seroma: After breast augmentation or liposuction, fluid can collect under your skin and cause an uneven appearance.
- Skin death or necrosis: This condition is most common among patients who smoke. It typically follows an infection or hematoma, and requires your skin to be surgically removed, which may affect the outcome of your cosmetic procedure.
Reducing Your Chance of Complications
Here are some ways you can decrease your chance of negative side effects associated with cosmetic surgery:
- Choose a board-certified, experienced cosmetic surgeon who is proficient is performing your elected procedure.
- Select the best procedure for your desired outcome, based on your specific body and skin type.
- Get into shape, physically and emotionally before your procedure and refrain from taking drugs or alcohol, which can weaken your immune system.
When performed by a board-certified plastic surgeon, the rate of serious complications was less than one-half percent.
If you live in the Orlando, Florida area and are interested in enhancing your appearance with cosmetic surgery, please contact board-certified Orlando cosmetic surgeon Dr. Brian Joseph and his team at Park Avenue Plastic Surgery to arrange an appointment.